The Albany Historical Society presented the City Council with their 7th historical plaque on Monday, November 5, 2012. This plaque, commemorating the “garbage wars”, is located on the southwest corner of Buchanan and San Pablo (near the police department).
The text reads, “On April 1, 1908, armed Ocean View residents gathered near this area on Buchanan St. to protest Berkeley's dumping of garbage in Ocean View. Garbage dumps were unpopular due to a regional plague scare. The residents (mostly women) turned away Berkeley's garbage wagons until the sheriff arrived and ordered them to stop. The conflict caused the City of Ocean View (later renamed Albany) to incorporate in the fall of 1908 and outlaw outside garbage dumping”.
For more detailed information regarding the garbage wars, please see our website, www.albancahistory.org
The Albany Historical Society previously donated plaques to the City recognizing the following historical sites:
Albany’s First Official Public Building
Located on Solano Avenue, east of Cornell Avenue, this plaque commemorates the first official public building. In 1908 construction of the Albany School began on Main Street, now Solano Avenue. The building was demolished during 1946 – 1947 to make way for the current Cornell School buildings.
Albany’s First Firehouse
Located on Cornell Avenue, south of Solano Avenue, this plaque commemorates Albany’s first firehouse which was constructed to protect the new city from fire. The fire house remained at that location until 1915 when a new station was built at the south east corner of San Pablo and Washington Avenues.
First City Hall
Albany’s first City Hall was located at 1045 Solano Avenue, between San Pablo Avenue and Adams Street. Built in 1915, this building was used for city government offices, including the police department, meeting space, and the city library.
Miller’s Barn, owned by Chris Miller, was the first school in Ocean View. Located near the northeast corner of San Pablo and Brighton Avenues, the barn was also the site of the town’s first civic meetings. Mr. Miller, one of three school trustees and the town’s first Marshall, refurbished his barn by adding windows and a floor so it could be used as a school, as well as a general meeting place and a dancehall.
Charles MacGregor’s Office
The office of Charles MacGregor was located near the north west corner of Solano and Carmel. Mr. MacGregor built approximately 1,500 homes in Albany, mostly in the 1920's and 1930’s. These homes—many featuring a Mediterranean style—originally sold for under $5,000 and can still be seen around town, giving Albany its own distinctive look. MacGregor loved the city of Albany and its children, hosting a free theater party each year for schoolchildren.
Dedicated on March 25, 1928 as Humboldt Hospital, the Albany Hospital served countless patients until its closure in 1985. The hospital provided a surgical department, as well as emergency and obstetrical care and general medical services. Originally privately owned, Albany Hospital later became part of Alta Bates. Albany is grateful to the doctors, nurses, staff, and volunteers who provided medical care to the community for so many years. The Albany Community Center and library are now located on this site.
We are always interested in your ideas for additional plaques. Please give us your suggestions on the "contact us" page on our website or as a comment below.
The October - Deccember issue of our newsletter was just published and is available as a PDF above.