.

Man Burned, Taken to Hospital After Camper Fire

Authorities are still investigating what led to a fire in a resident's camper, parked on Talbot Avenue, over the weekend. Click the "Keep me posted" button below for an email alert when we write about fires in Albany.

An Albany man was taken to the hospital over the weekend after his camper shell, over a pick-up truck, caught fire on Talbot Avenue on Saturday morning. 

Authorities said the man received burns during the blaze, but that he was conscious when he was taken to the hospital by the Berkeley Fire Department. Additional information about his condition was not available. 

Neighbor Preston Jordan said the victim told another neighbor he had been cooking eggs in the camper when the fire began.

Jordan said the victim is a property owner on the block who rents out a residence, and has been living on that rental property in a camper for about a month. 

Jordan said he was in his own house, across the street, on Saturday morning when he felt and heard what he first thought was a car hitting his home. 

He went outside to investigate and saw the camper across the street with smoke pouring out of it. Jordan said two people started trying to douse the flames with a hose.

"While I was calling AFD from my front steps the smoke pouring out the top of the camper turned to flame," he said, via email. "I yelled repeatedly for various people around the camper to evacuate. Some did and some did not. After the call, I evacuated my family to the back of our house because during the call I heard another small explosion from inside the camper. I had no idea what might happen next."

Jordan said he was grateful that the Albany Fire Department arrived so quickly and was able to put out the fire before it involved structures on either side of it. 

Albany Fire Capt. John Weitzel said firefighters were dispatched around 11:40 a.m. Saturday. When they arrived, to the 500 block of Talbot, they found smoke and flames coming out of the camper's windows. 

The victim appeared to be attempting to put out the flames with a garden hose as neighbors helped him, said Weitzel.

It took about 10 minutes for authorities to put out the fire, Weitzel said.

On Saturday, few official details were available regarding how the fire began. Weitzel said firefighters had not yet been able to interview the victim about how the incident came about.

"It's not clear as to how this happened or how it started," he said. "We still have to do some investigation on it."

Click the "Keep me posted" button below for an update when we publish future stories related to fires in Albany.

If there's something in this article you think should be corrected, or if something else is amiss, call editor Emilie Raguso at 510-459-8325 or email her at albany@patch.com.

Emilie Raguso September 24, 2012 at 12:57 PM
Many thanks to Preston Jordan for sharing information about this with Albany Patch and, at our request, taking some photographs at the scene. It always really helps us when readers reach out to share firsthand information about what they see around town. Sharing photographs is particularly helpful. You can always reach us via email at albany@patch.com.
Peggy McQuaid September 25, 2012 at 04:38 AM
Preston did 2 very important things when he saw this fire. He called the Albany Fire Department and he moved his family away from any danger.

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something