About 9:41 p.m., Berkeley police responded to a report that two victims – a 20-year-old female and 19-year-old male – were held up by two men at gunpoint in the 2400 block of Bancroft Way, according to Berkeley Police Officer Jennifer Coats.
The suspects took the victims' property and fled in a waiting vehicle, Coats said.
Officers later saw the suspects' vehicle exiting onto Buchanan Street in Albany from Interstate 80 and attempted to pull it over, but the vehicle did not stop, Coats said.
The female driver finally stopped near the intersection of Cerrito Street and Solano Avenue, Coats said. A witness told Patch that a dozen police cars from Berkeley and Albany and an Albany paramedic unit were at the scene.
The driver, a 32-year-old Rodeo woman, and the two male occupants, a 23-year-old Richmond man and a 25-year-old man with no fixed address, were arrested on suspicion of robbery, conspiracy and various other charges, Coats said.
The victims' stolen property – which included cell phones and a backpack – was recovered, she said. The victims were not injured in the incident.
Berkeley has seen a surge of nighttime street robberies this year, including a large number near campus.
- Suspect Nabbed after Armed Street Robbery (Nov. 7, 2013)
- Cal Student Attacked by 4 Males in Robbery Attempt on Campus (Nov. 1, 2013)
- Woman Robbed of Cell Phone near Cal Campus (Nov. 1, 2013)
- Female Student Slapped, Robbed on Cal Campus (Oct. 23, 2013)
- UC Police Beefing Up Patrols After Rash of Robberies (Oct. 16, 2013)
- Another Armed Robbery of a Cal Student on Campus (Oct. 15, 2013)
- Student Knocked Down, Robbed at Gunpoint on Cal Campus (Oct. 14, 2013)
- Cal Student Assaulted by 3 Robbers on Campus (Oct. 14, 2013)
- Student Shoved, Robbed of Cell Phone next to Cal Dorm (Oct. 12, 2013)
- Woman Hit, Robbed Next to UC Campus (Oct. 10, 2013)
- 3 Arrested After Employee Kicked in Tip-Jar Robbery at Caffe Med (Oct. 3, 2013)
- FBI Crime Data Reflects Berkeley Crime Increase
- String of Weekend Assaults on UC Berkeley Fraternity Row
- Cell Phone Robbery on UC Campus – Minor Injuries to Female Victim
- Berkeley Pedestrian Robberies Jump 35% This Year
- Another Robbery Near UC Berkeley
- Another Robbery: Cal Student Pushed from Behind While Walking
- Another Armed Robbery in Berkeley
- UC Student Describes Being Robbed as Bystander Stood By
- Armed Robbery at North Gate of Cal Campus
- Purse-Grab Robbery of Woman on Telegraph Ave.
- 2 Females Pushed, Robbed at Gunpoint South of UC Campus
- 2 Students Robbed at Gunpoint at UC Housing Complex
- Man, Woman Robbed at Gunpoint Near UC Campus
- 5 Robbers Take Man's Cell Phone, Wallet at Gunpoint Near Cal Campus
For other police-related news on Berkeley Patch, see our "Police and Fire" section.