This summary was written by City of Albany staff.
City Council Meeting Summary - April 15, 2013
The City Council held a study session regarding the state of the City Infrastructure. Public Works Director/City Engineer Ray Chan, and Urban Forester Tony Wolcott made a presentation on conditions, trends, regulations, and needs ofAlbany's waste water, storm water, pavement, sidewalks, trees, parks and buildings.
A number of items were on the City's Consent Calendar (approved by one motion) including but not limited to:
• Approval of an Emergency Notification System "Code Red", that would provide telephone emergency notifications to the community. "Code Red" is currently used by a number of other local cities.
• Acceptance of two grants awarded to the Albany Fire Department from the Federal Emergency Management Agency Assistance to Firefighters Grant Awards in the amount of $135,938.00 for the purchase a new ambulance, and a shared grant (with Piedmont) in the amount of $136,802.00 to purchase Self Contained Breathing Apparatus.
• Adoption of a Resolution in Honor of Esther Patterson Upon Her Retirement from Service as a School Crossing Guard with the City of Albany Police Department.
The City Council also took action on the following items:
• Swearing in of recent CERT training graduates as Disaster Service Workers:
The City's Fire Chief Ed Tubbs provided a swearing in to the most recent CERT training graduates as Disaster Service Workers.
• Proclamation designating April 14-20 as Library Week:
The Council presented the proclamation celebrating Library Week.
• Ordinance No. 2013-01 amending Chapter 20.68 "Green Building & Bay Friendly Landscaping" Regulations of theAlbany Municipal Code:
The Council approved the proposed amendments to the Ordinance. The revised Ordinance will become effective 30 days after adoption.
• Letter of opposition to AB 162 (Holden), proposed State legislation which affects cities' regulatory authorities and procedures on wireless facilities:
The Council directed staff to prepare and the Mayor to sign a letter of opposition to AB 162, consistent with the position of the League of California Cities.
• Proposed Amendments to the League of California Cities Bylaws: the Council voted to support the proposed amendments to the League of California Cities Bylaws.
• 540 Cleveland Avenue Purchase and Sale Agreement:
The Council approved a Resolution authorizing the City Manager to execute a Purchase Agreement with Western Forge & Flange to acquire the property at 540 Cleveland Avenue. The purpose is to develop a Public Works Center from which to deliver Albany public works maintenance, operations, engineering, and capital projects services.
The above summary is provided to serve as a brief update of action taken by the City Council as part of their Regular Meeting. The City Council meets regularly at 7:30pm on the 1st and 3rd Mondays of each month, at the City Hall Council Chambers - 1000 San Pablo Avenue, Albany.
Meetings are also broadcast live on KALB Cable Channel 33, and streamed on the City's Website.
The next regular meeting of the City Council will be held on May 6, 2013.
The Council will also hold a Strategic Planning Workshop on April 22, 2013, 6pm, at the Albany Community Center.